Graham Rayman at the Village Voice brings us more on officer Adrian Schoolcraft, the modern day Serpico who was sent to a psych ward for reporting on corruption in the NYPD. While working out of the 81st precinct in Brooklyn, Schoolcraft became aware of a pattern of crime victims getting caught up in bureaucratic hurdles that seemed to have purposely been set up to make it hard to report serious crimes. Schoolcraft reported a number of these incidents to investigators. That’s where things take a turn for the insane:
In October 2009, Schoolcraft met with NYPD investigators for three hours and detailed more than a dozen cases of crime reports being manipulated in the district. Three weeks after that meeting-which was supposed to have been kept secret from Schoolcraft’s superiors-his precinct commander and a deputy chief ordered Schoolcraft to be dragged from his apartment and forced into the Jamaica Hospital psychiatric ward for six days.
Officer Schoolcraft is the same man that released two years of recorded roll calls at NYPD precincts, leading to the award winning series by Rayman that has revealed incompetence and corruption in the NYPD. The story of Officer Schoolcraft’s forcible psych detainment was recently released in a 95 page report that vindicated Officer Schoolcraft, who has been suspended without pay for more than two years. He has since filed a lawsuit. The report was actually completed two years ago, and the NYPD has tried to keep it under wraps.
While on suspension Schoolcraft was staying somewhere ‘upstate’ where he recorded several incidents where NYPD officers harassed him by banging on the door at odd hours of the night and demanding to speak with him. NPR did a story on it a year or so ago.
Officer Schoolcraft was and continues to be harassed for speaking truth to power. As per the usual, the police rapidly turn on their own when one strays from the party line and divulges information that the public has a right to know and the police want suppressed.
I am not the least bit surprised that a campaign to sully his name, dismiss him as ‘psychotic’ or some other equally ableist designation, and suppress his work is fully under way.
The NYPD and other paramilitary and military institutions masquerading as public servants are undermining our democracy.
Fuck the police. Fuck Fascism.
This is pretty horrible - but it’s not just because the wrong guy got into the institution - institutions are horrible places.
But you notice how once you are put in an institution you’re not believed?
One of the reasons why mentally ill people have high rates of being abused.
- meghoose likes this
- plightofthepretty likes this
- quuer-r-beks reblogged this from thefemcritique
- quuer-r-beks likes this
- themindlesswanderer reblogged this from thefemcritique
- thefemcritique reblogged this from socialuprooting
- pastpresentnofuture reblogged this from youthisastateofmind
- pastpresentnofuture likes this
- my-tourniquet reblogged this from socialuprooting
- queerprimitive reblogged this from doctorofnothing
- psyphi-noetics likes this
- freshmouthgoddess likes this
- 8-5-5-10 likes this
- sleepywanderlust likes this
- soilrockslove likes this
- glossolaliac likes this
- wakingfromsomesortofsleep likes this
- hyperbody likes this
- newyorkknight reblogged this from asunkee
- oldparasitesingle reblogged this from theriverwanders
- oldparasitesingle likes this
- asunkee reblogged this from socialuprooting
- stonemaven likes this
- silentvesper likes this
- atomicyawn reblogged this from ataxiwardance
- corroborate likes this
- nndev likes this
- kingphiliptraum likes this
- swsmh likes this
- seaofstatic likes this
- nattles reblogged this from retuta and added:
- fizztography reblogged this from themamafox and added:
- fizztography likes this
- onehandclap likes this
- whatshallwedo likes this
- yesitisclosingtime reblogged this from retuta
- nullvalues likes this
- futuristicbaby likes this
- retuta reblogged this from ataxiwardance
- retuta likes this
- telegantmess reblogged this from smirkingbenevolence
- lunaticprophet reblogged this from theamericanbear
- joost5 likes this
- feelthetrepidation likes this
- imelizabethtaylor likes this
- truise reblogged this from socialuprooting
- truise likes this
- thefemcritique likes this
- my-tourniquet likes this
- drakonin reblogged this from the-virgin-whore